Student Award Payments: CALS Department Process
Student award payments, which are payments to students NOT tied to services rendered or prizes for contests and competitions open to the public, were previously paid using Payment to Individual Report forms (PIR). CALS Business Services has developed the Student Award Payment Form to replace PIRs when processing payments to students. Previously account code 3750, prizes and awards, was used for student award payments, however new guidance from the Bursar’s Office and Accounting Services is to use account code 5711, program code 9 (academic related scholarships) or 5709, program code 4 (research related payments) when processing student award payments.
- Department financial personnel should complete the form
- In order to use this form, recipients must be UW-Madison students and be enrolled in the applicable term (i.e. Spring 2018)
- If a student is not enrolled, please contact Alex Nelson or Sandy Fowler to discuss alternative payment options
- If the student is a Non-Resident Alien (NRA), please contact CALS Human Resources
- Payments to NRAs must be made through payroll and cannot be processed using this form
- Welcome Checks do NOT use this process
- Please contact Karen Martin in CALS Academic Affairs office for questions regarding welcome checks.
- Select whether the student is a graduate student or an undergraduate student
- Select whether the student is a resident/resident alien or a non-resident alien
- Payments to NRA must be made through payroll
- Fill in the student’s last name, first name and middle initial
- Enter the student’s Student Information System ID (SIS ID) which begins with 000 and is ten digits
- Do NOT provide a student’s Social Security Number
- The SIS ID is different than a student’s campus ID, which typically begins with 9 and is also ten digits
- Enter the amount of the scholarship and the related funding string(s)
- Account code 5711, program code 9, should be used for awards that are related to academics. Scholarships, poster contests (only open to UW students), and other academically related competitions should use 5711. If the award is related to research, account code 5709, program code 4 should be used. Travel awards related to presenting research and summer research program stipends should use account code 5709. If you are unsure which code to use, Alex Nelson or Sandy Fowler should be consulted
- Enter the term (i.e. Spring 2018)
- If a student is NOT enrolled in that semester, please contact Alex Nelson or Sandy Fowler to discuss alternative payment options
- Describe the student payment in detail
- Example: Student won a poster contest that was only open to UW-Madison students
- Attach documentation describing the award (award letter, website announcement, email notifications, etc)
- Obtain an authorized Department Chair signature or their alternate
- Route the signed form electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include the Department ID in the email subject line to allow for easier routing within CALS Dean’s Office (i.e. Student Award Payment, 07XXXX)
- If you are processing multiple, similar payments (same purpose, same funding source), please complete only one Student Award Payment form and attach an Excel spreadsheet listing the student names, SIS ID numbers, and payment amounts
- Submit a separate form and a separate spreadsheet for graduate and undergraduate students
Key Issuance and Building Access
Keys for Agricultural Hall may be obtained by filling out the Key Issue Form. The form will require information on your Wiscard, namely your Campus ID number (XXX-XXX-XXXX) and your Campus Access Code (first 6 digits on the back of your ID, below the bar code).
- A $25 deposit will be required for any NEW keys issued after January, 1, 2018.
- Please fill out the form below, have your supervisor sign on the Department Approval/Witness line, and bring the completed form to room 205 Ag Hall to receive your key(s) and building access.